Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Therapy for the Multitasker

As I was putting away my 12th load of laundry (no that isn't exaggeration for effect), I started thinking about all the other things I needed to do. Like weed my garden, clean my kitchen, make supper, take care of my sick son ( he just has a sore throat), write my blog, check on my facebook page, tweet about my book, work on my next book, water my garden, try to get more followers and make a list of everything else I have to do so I don't forget.
Now I know I am not the only person out there who has these things to do and maybe even more. I am writing about this, because I am wondering when you spread yourself thin can you do any of these well? Do you just muddle through and hope for the best? Do you become uber type A superwoman who has every moment of life scheduled down to bathroom breaks? (shudders in horror) Do you just jump from one project to the next hoping something gets done?
I do a little of all three.
Hoping for the best can never hurt. Some days that is all you have. Big fat hope that tomorrow will not be quite the shit storm today is. This may come in the form of selling more books then you have in a while, your kids helping with the housework, your hubby making supper or even an extra retweet you weren't expecting.

Scheduling is not my forte. If I set a schedule and then don't get everything done, then I get stressed and work until I either can't because of exhaustion or until someone tells me to take a chill pill and relax for a second. So I do a loose kind of schedule where I work until 10am on my writing and tweeting and blogging. Then I work outside in the garden until lunch. Afternoon is the same as the morning. Write for an hour then work outside. After supper I spend with the kids and then I write some more. So that is me scheduling and jumping everyday.

You must do whatever fits into your life. Remember it is also okay to schedule a time for nothing. That is sometimes the hardest thing to do when you always feel like you are behind. Your family needs your time as well. Mine has been super supportive, but I still feel the guilt when I am inside and my husband is outside playing with the kids.

So if I have to answer the question am I doing any of these things to the best of my ability, then the honest answer would be no. I am trying my best and this period of transition will end and maybe things will get easier. It will right? The first year we owned the farm I was having a panic attack over not being able to do it. By the next season my husband was across the country for 3 months and not only did I do it, but I did it with no help and kids to take care of by myself. So this year I added a book in the mix. Maybe next year I will wonder why I was so stressed. Of course next year I won't release a book in the spring. (see I can also learn from my mistakes).


 I feel like I was just in a therapists office and my 60 minutes is up. So I will toddle off feeling a little better from unloading. Deep breathe....ahhhh. 


happy reading
Electa


No comments:

Post a Comment